Monday, 9 January 2012

Christmas in Port Barton

Leaving Oyster Inlet we found an anchorage further north of the underground river for the night and after visiting the village headed around the following morning. Getting ashore was a problem because of the surf on the beach so after one successful attempt we hired a spider boat to take the rest of us. Our cave guide paddled us into the cave and explained what vegetable different rock formations looked like between giving Pontus confusing directions on where to point the spot light.

Arriving back at the boat around lunch still gave us plenty of time to get to Jimboom Bay where the guys in the village taught us to play 61, a form of Billiards. The next morning upon departure Robin informed us of good fishing feeling he had… sure enough an hour later he landed a Tuna.

Our plan upon arriving at Port Barton was to travel to Puerto Princessa by motorbike to do some shopping for Christmas. Things didn’t start out well with Andy locking his motorbike keys under the seat at the petrol station.

An hour later we hit the road or more accurately the mud. The locals weren’t joking about the condition of the road. I had so much mud stuck to the front tire the wheel stopped turning making the bike steer more like a snow mobile.

6 hours later we arrived in the big smoke and went to the fanciest restaurant in town to celebrate our good luck in arriving without serious injury. The trip back was not as bad with the weather gods smiling down on us.

While we were away the swell had crept into our anchorage so first thing Christmas morning we upped anchor and moved to a small island 2 miles away where the water was flat. Robin and Pontus demonstrated the Swedish bomb known as the flying Otter or maybe in Pontus’s case the falling Otter.

Not having turkey, ham etc we settled for spit roasted chicken for Christmas lunch after the present opening. Sloop was more impressed with the wrapping paper than the boots he received. After too many beers we headed over to the Island to find the Karaoke bar we could hear and pumped out a few tunes, me not included.

No comments: