Tuesday 30 September 2008

The Outer Barrier Reef

My good friend Amanda arrived and knowing how game she is, with a good weather forecast coming we sailed the 25nm to the outer reef. Everyone kept telling us, “the outer reef is what it’s all about!”, so off we headed. We were not disappointed! The snorkeling has to be the best I’ve seen in my life.

No sooner had we picked up a mooring at bait reef and jumped in the water, when a Hump Headed Maori Wrasse the size of us swam over for a pat. Yes, this fish was very friendly, maybe a little overly friendly causing me and Amanda to shove each other of the boarding ladder in a hurry to avoid his affections.




After exploring Bait Reef, we sailed around to Line and Hardy reef for some more snorkeling.








The highlight of the trip to the outer reef was definitely the friendly marine life!





Oh, and catching a huge tuna was pretty cool too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for such a fabulous holiday guys!
Amanda I am sorry I pushed you off the ladder, it is scary to have a Maori Wrasse up your clacker. Which you would know, it having migrated to your clacker after mine disappeared up the ladder.
Simon, I hope you aren't too jealous that the fish in this post is Amanda's - yours would have been the star of this post had it not been 10KG less than Amanda's fish. heh.
xoxo