Thursday 25 February 2010

Nitmiluk

Early Australia Day morning, we headed out of town to explore Nitmiluk (Katherine Gorge). Amanda and Stuart, preferring a more relaxing holiday booked onto the boat cruise, while I decided to head off on a hike. Man versus Wild here we come!

I experienced some amazing countryside, skirting the cliffs overlooking the gorge before rounding for a beautiful view of the surrounding country.



Just when I was beginning to think I was on the trail to no-where, I rounded a corner to overlook the gorge again. Looking up stream I could see some small ants walking towards a boat. Spotting Amanda’s green shirt I started yelling and jumping, waving my hat. Luckily Amanda spotted me as some of the other tourists thought I was in trouble!


The main objective of the walk was to get to a fresh water swimming hole – croc free. After a bit of a scramble down into a gorge I was so excited to see Amanda & Stuart there. The boat trip had unexpectedly decided a swim was in order. After a swim and a bit of rest unfortunately it was time to head back.



Southern Rockhole was a fantastic walk, but I’d recommend not trying it in the middle of the day in summer… the trail temp was 50!!! In the dry Si and I are planning to hike further up and lilo back down – when the crocs all clear out after the wet.


No comments: